"Joel is a key advisor to the firm and me. His advice is practical and straightforward. He is aware of current trends but grounded in reality. He is a sounding board for just about everything I do at the firm. We have had significant success in recent years – in my mind, there is no doubt that Joel has contributed greatly to this success. We enjoy and appreciate working with him. I have no hesitation in recommending Joel."
Tony Macvean, Managing Partner of Hall & Wilcox Lawyers and Managing Partner of the Year winner.
Welcome to Barolsky Advisors, a leading management consulting firm with a deep understanding of the culture and complexities of professional service organisations, in particular law, accounting, engineering and business advisory firms.
A significant proportion of the firm’s recent work has been in:
- crafting strategy for firms, practice groups and client relationship teams
- conducting strategic reviews
- mapping organisation culture
- auditing critical client relationships to drive profit growth
- helping firms increase their yield from their key client programs
- facilitating business critical meetings, retreats and workshops
- reviewing governance and organisation design
- advising on pie-splitting and partner remuneration arrangements
- delivering high-impact training and development programs
- making keynote presentations at partner retreats and industry conferences.
Joel Barolsky is presenting the highly-rated Practice Reboot seminar with Sue-Ella Prodonovich in March 2017. Click the logo for more details.
Joel is the lead author of the 2016 Thomson Reuters Peer Monitor Melbourne Law School: State of the Australian Legal Market Report.
Barolsky Advisors has recently launched two new services:  Leadership Summits - a fresh approach to partner retreats as well as board, practice group and executive team strategy offsites, and  a key client strategic growth initiative called Profit Growth Now!
The firm is creating proprietary knowledge and tools in the area of relationship capital. This relates to professional firms treating their key client and referrer relationships as ‘assets’ and developing fresh initiatives to protect, measure and leverage these assets.
Barolsky Advisors has a close association with The University of Melbourne. Joel Barolsky is Senior Fellow in the Melbourne Law School and is head of the Advisory Board of the University's Program for Jewish Culture and Society.
Joel has a very active LinkedIn profile with daily posts of useful material. Click here to view his profile and to connect:
From a recent client workshop...
And another from Pete Williams, CEO of Deloitte Digital...
And a 4th...
And a fifth...
And a sixth...
Recent highlights include:
- Keynote speaker at the 2017 Managing Partners Forum at Byron Bay
- Comments published on 2017 Harvard Business Review article on collaboration.
- 2017 blog article published in Remaking Law Firms platform.
- 2016 quote in Lawyers Weekly, and again, and again, and again.
- 2016 quote in The Australian Financial Review and again.
- Speaker at the Managing Partners Forum in August 2016.
- Featured in Hall & Wilcox Smarter Law strategy launch.
- Quoted in Westpac Business Focus March 2016.
- Presented at the 2016 Beca Global Leadership Conference and published article with Jon Huxley in Ignite.
- Launch of MBA IN A DAY public seminar program.
- Increasing global reach of the Relationship Capital blog - listed 6th on a global Google search on the term “relationship capital”
- Presenting the "Management for Professionals" subject at the Melbourne University Law School in October 2016
- Lead author of the 2015 Thomson Reuters Peer Monitor Report into the Australian Legal market
- 2015 press mentions in The Australian Financial Review and Lawyers Weekly
- Speaker at the Institute of Patent and Trademark Attorneys Australia (IPTA) Conference in April 2015
- Chair of the 9th LawTech Summit and Awards
- Keynote speaker at the Intellectual Property Society of ANZ conference
- Quoted extensively in a new book exploring trends in the legal industry
- Article on “Top Ten Tips to Differentiate Your Firm” published in PSF Journal
- Publication of an article co-authored with Nicola Mendleson on Relationship Capital in APSMA’s PSF Journal
- Presentation at the Managing Partners Forum for Boutique and Small Firms in Noosa
- Presentation at the Managing Partners Forum at Sanctuary Cove. Other presenters included the managing partners of King & Wood Mallesons, Allen & Overy, Norton Rose, DLA, Minter Ellison, Henry Davis York, Herbert Geer and Truman Hoyle.
- Presentation on partner performance management at the Lexis Nexus Practice Management Conference in Sydney. Other presenters included the managing partners of Herbert Smith Freehills, Gilbert & Tobin, K&L Gates, Holding Redlich, Hunt & Hunt and Clayton Utz.